be fore. I then went on to Independence the next day, and
preached there that night, from Ephesians iv, 5: "One Lord,
one faith, one baptism," which caused some of the people to
stare at me, Here brother Ford and brother Pertee earnestly
remonstrated against my proceeding any farther, telling me
that I never would be able to encounter the difficulties.

I rode over, the next morning, to Westport, and finding the company were all gone, and no possibility of overtaking them, with much pain of mind I gave up going any farther, and knew not what to do. I then rode across to the Shawnee mission, three miles from Westport, across the Missouri line, and there I met brother Greene, presiding elder, who told me the company, about four days previous, was eighty miles ahead of me, on the Caw River, I said within myself, surely the Lord is opening my way to go on. I began to get ready to go on, but could not get half prepared. Bought some powder and lead, and some provision and a gun, but was disappointed in getting my gun. My feelings were much harrowed up with the brethren trying to discourage me, and keep me from going to the Mountains. One of the preachers told me it was almost presumptuous for so old a man as I to attempt such a hazardous journey, and added, that he had awful feelings for me through the last night; and he said, so had some of the rest. Mr. Greene said there was a possibility of my returning, but not a probability,
I started out on Saturday, with brother Johnson, a missionary, and two Indian chiefs of the Caw tribe. We reached, that night, Wakloosa Creek, and camped under the trees. Brother Johnson cooked supper, and we had cakes and coffee. We laid down to sleep; the thunder and lightning cold be heard and seen, and the wind began to blow. I was somewhat alarmed, for fear of the trees falling on us. The rain soon began, and the wind ceased. Then I soon fell asleep, and rested well and comfortable. I arose next morning happy; bless the Lord, O my soul; praise him who takes care of us in the desert!
This day we traveled through extensive rolling prairies, with some few skirts of timber. We rode forty-five miles that day, and reached brother Johnson's mission. Brother and sister Johnson furnished me with provision, and everything that I needed, and offered to do anything that they could for me. (Brother Johnson has died since, and I doubt not, has gone to heaven to reap his reward). I shall never forget their kindness to me. Next morning I started, in company with Mr. Brensill. When we came to the Caw River, the Indians said we could cross it, We entered in, and the water ran over our horses backs, and I got my provisions wet. We inquired of the Indians, and they told us the company was ahead about four days' journey, and they gave me directions how to find their trail. I rode about seven miles. I was then alone, about 9 o'clock; and being about to pass through the territory occupied by the Pawnee tribe, I thought of what they told me about being